Special Educational Needs
Leverton Academy aims to support students with additional needs by removing barriers to learning and participation. We ensure that all students have access to an appropriate level of education that affords them the opportunity to achieve their personal potential, and that they receive sufficient support to reach for these goals.
Mrs Bailey is our SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator) and works with Miss Harrison to support the school, pupils, parents and agencies.
We are committed to meeting the educational needs of all our pupils. At times, some of our children will need additional support. We will facilitate this by following these objectives:
• Involve parents/carers as partners
• Provide, provision for meeting pupils’ special educational needs, the setting and marking of work appropriate to the individual need of the child, and where necessary through the development of individual or group learning programmes
• Foster and maintain links with all outside agencies, educational support services, secondary and special schools
• Initiate and facilitate staff development programmes concerned with special educational needs
• Ensure that our school provides for equal access in line with the Disability Discrimination Act
Our ‘Local Offer’ for pupils with special education and health needs, gives greater detail of our provision and is published on our school website or available in hard copy from the School Office. Please find a copy of our SEN report and information for parents, available for you to download - see links to the right.
Further information about Education, Health and Care Plans (EHC) can be found via the SEND Local Offer website:
or by speaking to an Education, Health and Care Plan Co-ordinator on
0115 9774012 / 0115 9773323.
Alternatively, you may wish to contact the Parent Partnership Service on
The school has an Accessibility Plan, to ensure that we consider the needs of people with disabilities. The building is level and also has two separate disabled access toilets.
Parents with disabilities are encouraged to let the school know if there is any way we can make communication between home and school easier for them.
SEN Report - Download
Local Offer - Download